The Study of the U.S. Branch is pleased to invite candidate nominations from Kyrgyzstan for a summer 2020 Study of the U.S. Institute for Student Leaders interested in the topic of Women’s Leadership. The program will take place during the late June to early August timeframe in 2020, pending availability of funds and ECA award approval; exact dates will be communicated at a later time. The Institute will take place at Green River College in Auburn, Washington.
Program Description: SUSI Student Leaders is intensive five-week academic program whose purpose is to provide groups of undergraduate student leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills. The Program will consist of a balanced series of seminar discussions, readings, group presentations, and lectures. The coursework and classroom activities will be complemented by educational travel, site visits, leadership activities, and volunteer opportunities within the local community. Each Institute will have 20 female participants and will include a four week academic residency component and a one week integrated study tour.
CANDIDATE DESCRIPTION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
The participants are expected to be highly motivated first through third year undergraduate students from colleges, universities, and other institutions of higher education, who demonstrate leadership through academic work, community involvement, and extracurricular activities. Their fields of study will be varied and may include the sciences, social sciences, humanities, education, business, and other professional fields. Emphasis should be made on recruiting participants from non-elite backgrounds, from both rural and urban areas, and with little or no prior experience in the United States or elsewhere outside their home country. In addition, recruitment of participants should include the underserved, people with disabilities, and ethnic minorities.
Requirements for the candidates:
· be female;
· be proficient in English;
· be interested in the topic of Women’s Leadership;
· be between 18 and 25 years of age;
· have at least one semester left of their undergraduate studies, and therefore be committed to return to their home universities following completion of the program;
· demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university and community activities;
· indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States;
· have a sustained high level of academic achievement, as indicated by grades, awards, and teacher recommendations;
· demonstrate commitment to community and extracurricular university activities;
· have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States or elsewhere outside of their home country;
· be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful, and inquisitive;
· be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and educational travel; and,
· be comfortable with campus life, prepared to share living accommodations, and able to make adjustments to cultural and social practices different from those of their home country.
DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION FORM HERE WORD FORMAT
The deadline for candidate nominations is Friday, January 3, 2020.
Please note that this is nomination-based program, which means applications must be sent by people nominating the candidates, NOT by candidates themselves. Applications sent by candidates directly will not be considered. Please send your nominations to USKGCulturalAffairs@state.gov with subject Nomination for SUSI on Women Leadership.
If you nominate several candidates, then your ranking would be really helpful.